[H-GEN] Apt pinning - Is there a guru in the house?

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Thu Jul 2 02:24:10 EDT 2009

http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2007/11/14/managing-debian-installs

> The real problem here is apt_preferences man page.

Well, the apt_preferences syntax is pretty bad in general really. I think
the theory was someone would write a nice gui or something to manage it...

> There are 2000
> words, none of which manage to say what syntax Pin: accepts.  How hard
> is it to write:

]       o   The specific form assigns a priority (a "Pin-Priority") to one or more
]           specified packages and specified version or version range. For example,
]           the following record assigns a high priority to all versions of the perl
]           package whose version number begins with "5.8". Multiple packages can be
]           separated by spaces.

]       o   The general form assigns a priority to all of the package versions in a
]           given distribution [...]

It is documented, you just have to be read those paragraphs carefully.

> Its the same for the rest of the keywords.  Pages and pages of waffle
> using examples is not a substitute a concise description of what it
> actually does.  It's not all bad though.  He style would fit right in
> with the GNU Info team.

*shrug*

You get what you pay for...

Cheers,