[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Jan 15 02:03:36 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 01:09:45PM +1000, Arjen Lentz wrote:
> On 15/01/2009, at 12:46 PM, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I'm *all* for people buying a Linux netbook to match their handbag and
> > using Firefox and OpenOffice and whatnot on it for web, IM and
> > email, and not caring about KDE versus Gnome, or even knowing how to
> > quit from vi, but that just doesn't really seem like HUMBUG's target
> > audience, even if they are in fact Brisbane Users of Home Unix Machines...
> HUMBUG is also regarded as the local LUG by Linux Australia.

The LA LUG list just lists groups that are a good place to meet people
interested in Linux. There can be multiple ones in one location; it
doesn't sanction them or anything. In the past there's been at least a
Griffith uni LUG and LUG-Vegas which I think was based at QUT.

> If it's not inclusive of the above, that doesn't make so much sense?

I guess it's nice to offer free tech support, but that just doesn't sound
like a fun way to spend every other saturday evening to me. *shrug* YMMV.

Now if tech support is just a part of learning about neat new (or old)
stuff with like-minded people, that's different and much more interesting
-- and fits with the way I think of HUMBUG. But tech support for people
who don't actually care about the tech? Isn't that what day jobs are for?

Cheers,
aj