[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Jan 13 23:51:34 EST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, James Lever wrote:

> I would like to think that HUMBUG has not explicitly and exclusively
> moved to being about just OSS.  This would directly rule out anybody
> who uses anything that is not NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux and their direct
> friends.
>
> Solaris and OpenSolaris, Digital Unix , AIX, IRIX, Pyramid....
> etc....  I know that not many people actually use those in comparison
> to _Linux_, but please, think of the reasons HUMBUG was created.

The first line on www.humbug.org.au specifically mentions Solaris.

The Constitution is quite explicit on this point:

"1c)	The aim of HUMBUG is to help people with unix like operating
 	systems, to advance the cause of free software and open systems,
 	and provide a social environment for people who enjoy using unix
 	like operating systems to meet."

If the actual aim had changed from the one on paper then people should try
to change the Consitution (at least to bring the issue to light) but I
don't believe that is the case.

Again, notice the wording - free software.  I think the same wording was
carried through each constitutional revision from 1995 onwards so it
predates the term "open source".  Open systems != open source.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy