[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at lusan.id.au
Mon Jan 12 04:55:55 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 16:19 +1000, Matthew Franklin wrote:

> Come  to a meeting with a non MS problem. Butt into a conversation and
> just ask for help. I know that is what I had to do
> when I 1st came to a meeting. Stay. A lot of us have dinner about 7pm.
> The best part of Humbug is often after 9pm
> when  the initial "I've been working on this " conversation has died
> down.

This has always been a problem, at one point we always had a first point
of contact person on duty. Meeting numbers these days probably make that
difficult these days, espicially given that it's next to impossible to
find an executive member to hand over cash to and get a membership card
in exchange. (wasn't like that in my day ... or term as either assistant
secretary or secretary)

It also has to be appreciated that not everyone wants to help anymore,
alot of us have been doing it for so long that dealing with the same
issues [that are easily solved by looking at google or doing some basic
reading] and doing tech support for a living means we have had our fill
and given back over a hundred times what we have taken.

HUMBUG is also fairly unique amongst user groups, in so far as all our
meetings have had network access (hence the massive size of meetings
before widespread, affordable broadband - and the issues we had with
windows only gamers at those meetings). Attending any user group meeting
and expecting someone else to fix all your problems is the wrong
attitude to start with, people might point you in the right direction

> Appreciate that we don't want to deal with
> problems relating to MS products. That's we do for a living.

Wrong! Section 1, subsection C of te constitution reads:
   "The aim of HUMBUG is to help people with unix like operating
    systems, to advance the cause of free software and open systems,
    and provide a social environment for people who enjoy using unix
    like operating systems to meet."

Windows is not a *nix operating system. that's why we don't deal with
it. I know I personally haven't dealt with windows professionally for
years now and many long term members are the same.

>  I hope you
> do come back. Heck if I was you start off with
> what you have just written. A least that will be a question that will
> get answers.

People should come back to meetings in the hope of meeting like minded
people with similar interests and learning more about *nix operating
systems and OSS.

--
Nikolai Lusan <nikolai at lusan.id.au>