[H-GEN] toggling touchpad

Peter Robinson pjr at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 23 16:28:16 EST 2009

Russell Stuart wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 15:39 +1000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> #! /bin/bash
>> # This script is called from udev rules:
>> #    if "add" is the arg to the script then the mouse is added
>> #    if "remove" then removed
>>
>> if [ $1 = "add" ]; then
>>         synclient TouchpadOff=1
>> else
>>         synclient TouchpadOff=0
>> fi
>>

> Assuming synclient works as it is supposed to on the version
> Ubuntu you are running (sadly not always a given), did you
> notice this on synclient's man page:
>
>   "This program lets you change your Synaptics TouchPad
>   driver for XFree86  server  parameters while X is
>   running if you enabled SHMConfig "on" in your XFree86
>   configuration."
>
> In other words, is SHMConfig set to "on" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
> If not, set it to on.
>
> If you don't know what to change, post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> here.

Yes - I have set SHMConfig to on in xorg.conf.

I should have said that if I run the above script manually it correctly
toggles the touchpad.
So I don't think it is this script that is the problem - I think it's my
lack of understanding of how the udev rules work.
As I said in my previous post I think there must be a later udev rule
(or something post udev) that is resetting the touchpad after my rule
has changed it.

Peter