[H-GEN] Best FS for use with multiple Unix variants

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Tue Aug 18 19:16:22 EDT 2009

Hi Robert

----- "Robert Brockway" <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:
> Peripherial to the main thread but I've long maintained that
> backups have nothing to do with technology.  My canonical comment on
> this can be found here:
>
> http://www.practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/Backups#History

Good, but needs updating.
You write "offsite, offline, tested".

As I wrote, in some cases these days offline no longer works, the time required to restore is longer than the time the business is allowed to be not functional. it's not just time required to get data back on-site, but actually mainly the time just restoring.

 - being in multiple locations/datacentres is quite easy/cheap now. this way a backup is effectively on-site; it's just not the same site ;-)
 - with mysql you can set up delayed replication, so it's close to being up-to-date but can protect against user error.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org