[H-GEN] RepRapping in Brisbane!

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Mar 30 13:29:34 EDT 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, gavin duley wrote:

>> On 30/03/2008, at 2:16 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:
>>> This is the root of the problem: If we make something which can self
>>> replicate exponetially then sooner or later it _will_ become a
>>> problem.
>
> That's why I'd be a bit unconfortable with the whole idea of doing that.

The problem is there is quite a bit of active research in this area.  It
goes against my nature to declare "we shouldn't research this" but the
research is proceeding apace without much discussion about the dangers.

Of course CERN are planning to make a micro-blackhole in Switzerland.
While I don't think this is going to be particularly dangerous I do think
there should have been more public discussion.

[Confirmation RepRap is not autonomously self-replicting snipped]

> So not time to get paranoid yet, I guess. :-)

Quite :)

As noted RepRap can't self-replicate autonomously.  The term
self-fabricate is probably more accurate as it still requires a human to
put the parts together AFAIK.  A self-fabricating machine that can also
build other things is a fabulous idea.

A true self-replicating robot is probably several decades away.
Self-replicating robots which can replicate fast enough to be truly
dangerous (say, self-replication in a week) might not appear for years or
even decades after that.  Sooner or later it will happen though.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"