[H-GEN] Videoing HUMBUG talks

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Feb 15 03:11:58 EST 2008

Hey all,

I guess everyone knows about the great videos we get of linux.conf.au
presentations now days [0]. I've been thinking it'd be neat if we did the
same thing for HUMBUG (and if other LUGs did the same), so I suggested
Linux Australia might like to cover the cost of the equipment (cameras,
microphones, tripods, whatnot) for LUGs willing to do this, and last
night they agreed...

The proposal is:

   http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2008-February/016598.html

Assuming other people want to do it, not just me, what that means for
HUMBUG is:

   1) we need to work out how we want to:
        -- record (camera, tripod, microphone; dvd recorder, mixer, ...?)
	-- encode (take the raw camera feed and make it an MPEG or OGG)
	-- distribute (upload to mirror.linux.org.au?)

   2) we need to get some talks organised between March and June, possibly
      with the help of BrisPy or other groups
        -- I'll volunteer to do a talk on coding for the Hackfest this year
	   (multiprocessing and vector ops on the Cell broadband engine CPU)
	-- anyone else?

   3) we need to make this reasonably inexpensive, and work out how
      much we want to ask LA for (up to $2k) and how much we want to
      use HUMBUG funds for

The suggestions on linux-aus seem to be:

   - get a HDD camera with a mic input
      * JVC Everio 40GB for $1184.00 seems to fit the bill [1]
   - get a good tripod for maybe $300
   - get some sort of microphone $???
   - convert the camera's format to OGG
   - upload to mirror.linux.org.au
   - profit

Does anyone here know stuff about videoing talks and have something to
add? Better ways of doing it, talk ideas, thoughts, comments, etc?

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lca2008.linux.org.au/programme/presentations

[1] http://www.camerastore.com.au/JVC+Everio+40gb+HDD+GZ%2DMG575_details.htm