[H-GEN] Problems with Xorg under Debian lenny on sparc

gavin duley gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au
Thu Aug 21 22:54:44 EDT 2008

On 20 Aug 2008, at 23:20, Clinton Roy wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM, gavin duley
> <gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, this seems to be the culprit:
>>
>> mmap failure: Invalid argument
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> xf86MapDomainMem():  mmap() failure
>
> Indeed. Some googling suggests that this is actually a kernel problem
> not an xorg problem (well, actually it's xorg relying on a bit of a
> crutch that the kernel guys have removed).

Okay, thanks

> Are you running 2.6.26 something or other?

I am running 2.6.26:

aragorn:~# uname -a
Linux aragorn 2.6.24-1-sparc64 #1 Thu May 8 17:12:30 UTC 2008 sparc64
GNU/Linux
aragorn:~#

> Try dropping back to 2.6.25?

I did a bit more googling myself this morning. It looks like 2.6.25
also has the same problems, and 2.6.21 or 2.6.22 would be a better bet.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2008/07/msg00018.html:
> I have the same problem on my Ultra5 with onboard ATI graphics card
> moving from kernel 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 to 2.6.24 or 2.6.25.
>
> I believe that this is a PCI problem that that has been mentioned here
> and decribed in detail at:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/sparclinux@vger.kernel.org/msg01094.html
>
> http://www.archivum.info/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/2008-06/msg00929.html

This is the same model computer as I have (the Ultra 5), and I think
they all used the same onboard ATI graphics card.

> let us know :)

I just installed the version of 2.6.22 from the Debian lenny archives
and rebooted. Suddenly X11 works!

thanks,

gavin,

--
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we
should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for

Gavin Duley
<gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://gpd.sdf-eu.org/