[H-GEN] ADSL2+ modems

Russell Stuart russell at stuart.id.au
Fri Aug 1 08:43:16 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 22:05 +1000, David Seikel wrote:
> I will upgrade to ADSL2+ soon (well, sooner or later).  I'm wondering
> what is the best modem to use.  I just want a basic modem, all the fancy
> stuff (firewall, routing, etc.) will be done by an Ubuntu box (currently
> Edgy Eft, but likely to be upgraded to the latest Ubuntu soon).
> Obviously needs to work well with Ubuntu, though the modems just use
> PPPoE?  PPPoE I already have working with my current Internet
> connection.

I regard the things as disposable items.  They always end up
getting taken out by a storm or something.

So I just use the cheapest, which is usually a D-Link DSL-502T.
It happens to run Linux as well.  You can even telnet to it
and log in and get a shell prompt.  Besides, I always like it
when a copy of the GPL falls out of the packaging.

You will see people recommend various modems on Whirlpool.  I
manage a few of them.  As far as I can tell there is no
observable difference.

BTW, I don't think it possible to purchase an ADSL modem
nowadays that doesn't have both an ethernet port and a USB
port, doesn't support ADSL2+, and doesn't do PPPoE/PPPoA,
bridging and port forwarding.