[H-GEN] ADSL2+ modems

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:05:27 EDT 2008

The recent talk about flash reminded me...

I will upgrade to ADSL2+ soon (well, sooner or later).  I'm wondering
what is the best modem to use.  I just want a basic modem, all the fancy
stuff (firewall, routing, etc.) will be done by an Ubuntu box (currently
Edgy Eft, but likely to be upgraded to the latest Ubuntu soon).
Obviously needs to work well with Ubuntu, though the modems just use
PPPoE?  PPPoE I already have working with my current Internet
connection.

If it matters I'll be using greentreefrog, and have a static IP.
Network lag is more important to me than raw throughput.  Though I
expect both will be so much better than what I get currently that I
will be happy anyway.  The main heavy use application will be Second
Life.  Though I expect I'll get more into music / video streaming and
VOIP with this upgrade.

So, what do people use and recommend?