[H-GEN] Brisbane's timezone

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Apr 9 22:55:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Raymond Smith wrote:

> It would be nice if both sides admitted it was all about
> what suits their lifestyle best, and that what fits the
> lifestyle best varies by location.

Exactly.  Imagine how many of the world's problems would be solved if
people would just realise that the other side are (a) rational human
beings and (b) actually have a well thought-out basis for their beliefs.

> For my own part, I find that daylight savings offers *me*
> no significant benefits but provides a great pain in the
> arse when it comes to changing the clocks and adjusting

Agreed.  I grew up in the 'burbs around cities and need to call people in
other timezones regularly so I'm supposed to be in the demographic that
likes DST.  In truth it annoys the hell out of me.  I strongly disliked it
when Queensland trialed it and I strongly dislike it here in Canada.

Similarly to Paul, during DST in Canada I have to walk through snow _in
the dark_ to get to the train to go to work.  Yeah real fun that :)

DST is largely a post-WWII invention.  We managed to live for a very long
time quite happily without DST and I'd happily be rid of it for good.

At least *nix generally deals with changes in TZ start/end dates better
than another operating system I could mention, but won't.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"