[H-GEN] Grub Error

ciphernaut ciphernaut at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:08:29 EDT 2008

Hi Deepan,

It depends where you had installed grub to.

I usually find the following recipe to work
1) boot from live distro or rescue cdrom
2) locate and mount the distro's / and /boot filesystems somewhere temporarily
3) use mount -o bind to make proc and dev available in the temporary mounted /
4) chroot into that location
5) reinstate grub

If you are familiar with grub shell you can specify root, kernel and
initrd directly (use the tab key) and boot them directly, reinstate
grub when the system has come up.
In both cases inspect the output that grub install process can
identify how to correctly get to /boot/grub/menu.lst

HTH,
Marco