[H-GEN] new system hanging at boot from kernel

Sandra Mansell sandra at mansell.id.au
Mon Oct 29 19:40:51 EDT 2007

Troy Piggins wrote:
> /dev/hdd would be an ide hdd?  but there was nothing plugged in except the
> cdrom.  And it worked because it was trying to install from it?

/dev/hdd is your secondary slave device, so yes it's booting from that.
Are you sure the optical drive is in working order? Is there an option
to check the media for errors? Could be bad burns or scratched disks.

Do you have a live cd you can try booting from instead?

Other than that I have no idea sorry. Everything I've tried just works,
but then I'm yet to attempt an installation with only sata hard drives
plugged in.

sandra at mansell.id.au
"I don't need no-one to tell me about heaven.
I look at my daughter[s] and I believe."
    -- Live, "Heaven"