[H-GEN] USB barcode scanner: will it work on FreeBSD?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Oct 4 03:47:13 EDT 2007

I've decided to get myself a barcode scanner and I've narrowed my search
for a type to one that comes in two variants -- one with a pair of PS/2
connectors that can be inserted inline with a keyboard and which just
delivers ASCII codes as part of the keyboard input and one with a USB
interface.

Because I'd rather not risk hot-plugging a PS/2 keyboard interface and
because I'd like to use this thing on a couple of machines, I'd rather
like to get the USB unit[1].

But I have no idea how it works and I have no idea whether it's foolish
to expect it to work nicely with FreeBSD (the operating system that is
installed on all the machines of interest).  What I'm looking for is
some guidance from anybody with relevant knowledge or experience.

Please reply direct to me.  If I eventually get something working, I'll
let everybody know the good news.

Cheers, Greg