[H-GEN] Attachment sent as .pdf arrives as .dat - any clues?

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:43:36 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Johann Kwiatkowski <johann at spot-the-dog.com> wrote:
> I have this issue when getting emails from my Aunt all the time at its to do
> with the version of outlook that she uses. It wraps the file and sends it as
> a winmail.dat file. There are applications you can get to unwrap it, or if
> you can, change the default settings on the email client sending the email,

Oh, if it's just a tnef file, then you can just take the tnef encoded
data and extract the rtf formatted markup and wehatever attachments
using a tnef decoder. My mail system will extract these itself, just
in case someone sends me tnef encoded emails.

But application/ms-tnef formatted data is generally generated by a
windows mail client such as outlook, which you're certaintly not
doing, as you're posting to the humbug list.

If anything, it's their mailserver mangling the data if they are
getting winmail.dat files.

--
Stephen Thorne

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to sit and I will move the world."
  --Jonathan Lange