[H-GEN] My SATA, motherboard nightmare

Brendon Higgins blhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 01:45:44 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

Kernel versions: A few. I had the same problem on 2.6.18 (my Debian
testing install), 2.6.19 (a Knoppix live-CD), and 2.6.14 (I think, or
maybe 2.6.8; an R.I.P. CD). I think there was a 2.6.16 or 17 thrown in
there somewhere, too (mid-2006 Debian install snapshot CD).

Heat: The room's not air conditioned, so we are seating it out, but I
don't think that's the problem. The new case seems to have much better
flow than the old one did, as indicated by lm-sensors temperatures
(though I need to check the calibrations are the same as they were
before, now that I've reinstalled it). Also, it seemed to be worst at
the start of the day. At least, one evening it was working and the
next morning the problems appeared again.

Mind you, now that I think about it, I haven't actually looked at the
harddrive temps yet, using S.M.A.R.T. I'll do that this evening. It
still wouldn't explain how it seems to improve during the day, though.
(Or mayby that's just a psychological problem. :-) )

PSU: I'll try the old one, probably over the weekend, and see if it
behaves any better (after I backup an image of the new install
partition, of course). It's just a bit of a mongrel to do, and I don't
think the cables are quite long enough on the old PSU to be properly
seated in the case and reach the motherboard at the same time.

Peace,
Brendon