[H-GEN] CAcert @ HUMBUG

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Fri Jan 26 18:31:33 EST 2007

Hi Greg,

On 27/01/2007, at 1:31 AM, Greg Black wrote:
> On 2007-01-26, Arjen Lentz wrote:
>> I think there are enough CAcert assurers at HUMBUG to get you your
>> full points. For those who don't know CAcert (www.cacert.org), it's
>> an Australian initiative to provide free SSL certificates (and GPG
>> signatures), using a web-of-trust.
>
> Does anybody know if CAcert have finally managed to get any browser
> providers of interest to include their certificate, so that their
> service can  actually be of use?

It's not as much willingness that's needed, as following some
procedures to get there.
CAcert has been active in making sure that its processes and security
are up to scratch.
The Mozilla connection is probably going fastest, right now.

But even without being in all browsers, and depending on your exact
opinion, one might say that a CAcert signed certificate is still
better than self-signing.

And apart from the processes, some of the procedures for the other
browsers may involve money. With a broader base, CAcert may have the
clout to tackle that also. Not that any of the stuff currently costs
money, but if there are sufficient participants, a voluntary
fundraiser could be quite effective.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Support Engineer & Trainer, MySQL AB
Based in Brisbane, Australia