[H-GEN] Linux Distribution for A Dell Poweredge 840?

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Wed Feb 28 02:19:12 EST 2007

Adrian Sutton wrote:

> In general I think this discussion, though
> interesting, has veered away from my actual requirements though.

Yeah I guess It did get off topic a bit. I guess I am a bit passionate
about free software and the fact that it isn't always about the
corporate world of dollars and cents and time is money attitude and
the fact that you can work in other ways like getting a minimal system
and quickly install the services you actually want.

I guess in a world that is throwing things away more and more for
bigger better and newer I like the fact that with free software you
can turn an old piece of crap into a useful machine at no physical
cost to you just a bit of time which yes does cost money too but is
sometime preferable.

> I really just needed to know which distribution to install and if there
> were likely to be driver issues etc. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. For
> the record, I'm going to give Debian testing a go to see how well the
> hardware is supported - we probably just won't apply updates
> particularly often. In terms of security the box will be behind a
> firewall, only the guest OS's will ever have ports forwarded to them and
> it's on a dedicated internet connection so the security risks are minimal.
>
> If Debian doesn't work out we'll probably just go with RedHat since it's
> fully supported.

If you want a debian based system without having to run testing you
could look at the *buntu offerings as they have an 18 month support
cycle from memory and you don't have to have scary updates where
something in testing might break your server.

If you go down the redhat route then you could look at centos. There
is a single centos server cd designed for a base server os so you
don't need to download a ton of cds to do an install.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin