[H-GEN] Linux Distribution for A Dell Poweredge 840?

Adrian Sutton adrian at symphonious.net
Wed Feb 28 01:44:25 EST 2007

On 28/02/2007, at 4:36 PM, Anthony Irwin wrote:
> I thought he said some where that the system was dedicated to the
> virtual systems that he is running for the php cms systems.

Not quite. It will be dedicated to running virtual machines
containing a wide range of "enterprise" CMS systems. They utilize a
wide variety of OS's, languages and other dependencies ranging from
Java to perl but I don't believe I've ever come across an enterprise
ready CMS written in PHP*. The base system for which I'm concerned
here however will be running nothing but VMWare so will have a very
minimal set of software installed.

I'd expect the installation approach will be whatever's easiest to
get the one VM we need immediately up and running. If and when we
need to tune the server we'll do so, but low effort and low
maintenance is the order of the day here. In general I think this
discussion, though interesting, has veered away from my actual
requirements though. I really just needed to know which distribution
to install and if there were likely to be driver issues etc. Perhaps
I wasn't clear enough. For the record, I'm going to give Debian
testing a go to see how well the hardware is supported - we probably
just won't apply updates particularly often. In terms of security the
box will be behind a firewall, only the guest OS's will ever have
ports forwarded to them and it's on a dedicated internet connection
so the security risks are minimal.

If Debian doesn't work out we'll probably just go with RedHat since
it's fully supported.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net

* Things like Drupal are neither enterprise ready, nor are they real
CMS systems, at best they'd be considered Web Content Management
systems.