[H-GEN] Linux Distribution for A Dell Poweredge 840?

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Tue Feb 27 20:36:35 EST 2007

I'll preface the following with three comments;
1. I don't know which VMware products you are looking at, or which you
know about.
2. I don't know the details of your environment, so not sure if this
is appropriate.
3. If appropriate, apologies for trying to tell you "how to suck
eggs".

VMware Server is available as a free download and I suspect, for your
uses, much preferred over VMware Workstation or VMware Player.  Also
I suspect, as good as it is, VMware Infrastructure Server (ESX) would
be something of an "overkill" for you.

VMware Server is, largely, the old GSX Server re-badged.

P.S.
I'm running multiple VMware Server and VMware Workstation systems on
Linux (RH, FC, & SuSE) in a production environment and cannot speak
to highly of the technology and quality of the products.  Am planning
to replace some of the VMware Servers with VMware Infrastructure
Server over the next 6 months.

P.P.S.
I liked (and agree with) the comment about the number of buses earlier
in the thread.

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 08:18, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
>     ] [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses
> will vanish. ]
>
> Hi all,
> We've just taken ownership of a new Dell Poweredge 840 that we'll
> be running VMWare on to provide various demo servers (IWWCM,
> Confluence, Vignette and pretty much every other CMS you can
> imagine on various OS's, all on VMs). We figured Linux would be a
> less resource hungry host OS and should provide better memory
> management, but we're stuck on deciding which distro to use.
>
> Our two existing Linux server both run Debian. The public facing
> one runs Debian stable and the internal only one is running Debian
> testing. I regret running Debian testing on the internal server -
> the constant stream of updates is just too scary and we didn't
> really need the newer packages.
>
> Since this server is just going to host VMWare, we don't need up to
> date packages for it .
>
> The new server does have SATA2 which I believe Debian stable
> doesn't support out of the box.
>
> Dell officially support SUSE and RedHat, but have reports of
> success running Debian on various PowerEdge servers listed on their
> website.
>
> Help? :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian Sutton
> http://www.symphonious.net

Ewan Edwards BE MIEAust CPEng MCSE
MineStar Solutions
Telephone: +61 (0) 7 3329 8124
Facsimile: +61 (0) 7 3329 8101
Ewan.Edwards at cat.com

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755
This message is for the intended addressee only and may contain
confidential information.  If you've received this message in error
then I've screwed up.  As a result, I'm obliged to ask you to delete
the message and let me know about my stuff up as soon as possible.
Not that I want to know about it, I'm just obliged to ask you to let
me know.

The contents of this message are probably my opinion only.  That's
right, mine alone, no-one elses.  Also any opinion is most likely
not endorsed by anyone, not even the people who paid me for the time
spent writing it down.