Partners' Program (was Re: [H-GEN] Re: Wiki URL)

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Tue Apr 10 03:08:23 EDT 2007

Russell Stuart wrote:

> 2.  The partners program.  Urk!  I have been to 6 LCA's, but
>     have never looked at the partners program.  My partner
>     gives me a longer leash than some, apparently.  So what
>     do you do with these partners?  This year 90% of the
>     attendees where male.  That means 90% of the partners are
>     likely to be female & the kids.  You have grand kids
>     don't you?  Surely that means have some idea of how to keep
>     girls and kids entertained while the boys have fun.

Step one is probably to find out how many people participated in the program in
2007, 2006 and 2005.  I am informed that Sara Kaan managed it this year and
Kristy Bennett in 2005.  I'm not sure about 2006.  These people may be able to
help you with suggestions on what you might do, and what the gender balance
might be.

I believe that this year, every speaker was given a free partners' program
registration (although I'm not sure how many accepted that).  The list of
activities can be found here:

	http://lca2007.linux.org.au/PartnersProgramme

and may prove to be a useful guide to selecting your own activities.  You might
pick things like:

	* Roma street parklands and or Brisbane botanical gardens
	* Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
	* lunch at Mt Cootha
	* Citycat ride
	* Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo
	* Climbing Story Bridge
	* City Hall visit and Tower lookout
	* Coochiemudlo Island
	* Riverside Walk, or utilise the facilities from the Riverlife Adventure
	  Centre
	* Ironbark Ridge or other winery tours
	* The Wool Shed (which might be able to handle 800 for dinner too)
	* Moreton Bay cruise, Bribie island visit, or just a trip to the beach
	* Museum of Brisbane
	* One of the many Arts & Crafts markets
	* UnderWater World
	* Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre

Failing all that, there's always the option for taking them to the movies.

All the best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |