[H-GEN] Windows to *nix

Tue Sep 26 21:30:16 EDT 2006

> Robert Brockway wrote:
> Can MS-Windows be run in a production environment without any GUI?  I
> did not think this was possible.  I would be most interested to hear
> if it can be done.  If it cannot be done then Anthony's assertion is
correct.

There is a version Windows 2003 called Storage Server that does just that
however, it's only available to hardware OEM that makes USB Drives and NAS
drive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003#Storage_Server

Windows Storage Server 2003 NAS equipment can be headless, which means that
they are without any monitors, keyboards or mice, and are administered
remotely. Such devices are plugged into any existing IP network and the
storage capacity is available to all users. Using NAS devices means that
data is decentralized and shared amongst all users of the network, even
though access through the data can be controlled. Windows Storage Server
2003 can use RAID arrays to provide data redundancy, fault-tolerance and
high-performance. Multiple such NAS servers can be clustered to appear as a
single device. This allows for very high performance as well as it allows
the service to remain up even if one of the servers goes down.

Not sure how many OEMs are actually using this version of Windows though.

IIRC Windows Vista Server will be able to do this out of the box as well.

The only thing that annoyed me about Windows these days is the fact that
some patches will need you to reboot the server, other than that my Windows
Server uptime is pretty solid. Again this problem apparently will be address
in Windows Vista Server.