[H-GEN] Dead PC

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Mon Sep 25 12:40:31 EDT 2006

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help, but figured it was worth trying before I run
in blind panick to my nearest computer store.

We just noticed my partner's pride and joy was no longer running.  I don't
know when it failed, but it was running this morning.

The thing seems to be, as far as my limited ability can tell, completely
dead.  The On button doesn't do anything no matter how many times I press
it (whose smart idea was it to have soft-buttons anyway?).  I've done the
usual tricks of pulling out the power cable, I even changed power sockets
and power cables, but no luck.

I don't know much at all about the power side of things, but as far as I
can tell, all the plugs seem to be secure.  The places where the cable from
the power button attaches to the motherboard doesn't look very solid, but I
guess it's solid enough.

The supply has a switch on the back of it, presumably On/Off, but I've been
unable to find any lights anywhere to confirm whether the thing is getting
power.

Being Blind and not knowing where I'd test for it anyway, I've no idea if
there's any power coming from the supply or not.  I guess there's a fuse
somewhere, so maybe this is a simptom of some other problem, who knows.

The computer was recently shipped from Israel so it's possible something
has gone wrong with it.  But last I saw it it was running fine, with no
complaints.  The PC has 3 fans in it and I don't detect any burned-out
smells, so I doubt that it's heat that's been the problem.

If anyone can suggest anything at all, I'd be very greatful.  My partner is
not taking this at all well and I'd love nothing more than to be able to
fix it for her, though I'm rapidly coming to terms with the fact that this
could need a professional.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html