[H-GEN] Linux connection to the internet.

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Sun Sep 24 21:39:45 EDT 2006

Russell Mathews wrote:

Hi Russell the link that Greg posted is a good read I recommend everyone
reads it but I will give some of my thoughts  quickly.

> I have managed to boot up my linux box running Fedora 4.  I have it
> connected through a D-Link-G604T to ADSL.  I have my windows box [that
> is how I am writing this] connected through that same modem/router.
> My problem is that connection by my Linux box to the net is very slow,
> when it occurs.  Often it times out.  I have been able to access the
> humbug site as well as the whirlpool, but not google nor mail.google
> nor yahoo.com.au/.  This was identical yesterday and today.

I imagine that the adsl router that you are connecting to automatically
assigns you with an ip address, dns and gateway via dhcp so you should
have the correct details for accessing the internet regardless of what
OS you use.

> I hope someone can point me to the right screen on which to make
> appropriate settings.

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that maybe selinux is
slowing you down and possibly causing your problems. You can disable
selinux by making SELINUX=disabled in the /etc/sysconfig/selinux file
the easiest way to get the changes to take effect is to reboot your
computer.

Hope that helps you out.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin