[H-GEN] Windows to *nix

De Crow crowaust at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 02:47:14 EDT 2006

Couple of responses here.

>I personally would still like *nix to be more main stream but still think
people should at least attempt to learn the
>philosophy behind it as that is where a lot of the value comes from.

+1 :)

>If you go to mac you learn the mac way you don't try to turn mac into
windows. I don't understand why everyone is trying to make *nix more like
windows.

It's not that we want to turn *nix into Windows, we'd just like to see a GUI
for everything possible :)  I personally have no problems opening up vi and
working on a config file, I'd just prefer not too, hence why I love
Webmin/Web front ends for servers and other GUIs for Desktops.

I would've switched entirely to Linux a while back if I wasn't in the habit
of playing the latest games, which reminds me I should check in on
transgamming and see what they're up to these days. Back on topic, The major
problem I see facing new users to *nix, is the lack of a simple easy
install, admittedly Knoppix/Ubuntu and other live CDs that allow you to
install the current running OS to HDD is a magnificent idea. A simple GUI
based install that is easy to follow is the key, a few distros have this
Redhat/Mandrake to name 2 off the top of my head, the trouble is that it
stops at the Distro and doesn't continue through to the Applications that
you add after that.  APT/YUM interesting concept but not really a nice way
for end/home users, The GUI front ends for these a nice step in the right
direction. However there are applications that aren't friendly to install,
this includes simple things like installing a driver. This is typically a
trival task under windows, but under linux it is a nightmare. GUI driver
installations please?

Sorry for the rant.

Crowy
(aka Anthony)