[H-GEN] Windows to *nix

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Fri Sep 22 00:46:49 EDT 2006

andrew laidlaw wrote:

> Personally, I prefer freeware because it generally does not include
> three thousand features I'm never going to use and hence is much
> easier to learn, even accounting for a few dead end downloads.  But
> you wouldn't generally want to put it on a corporate system, and I
> never (OPEN aside) push freeware at users I'm trying to help (who'll
> fall in a hole at the first bug, wasting a great deal of my time).

Sorry mate I got to nit pick this one. I just want to make sure that you
mean freeware as in a closed source no cost software and not free
software as in you can modify and redistribute the software. It may be a
bit anal to mention it but its a big difference maybe not to the end
user but freeware is not free software its no cost software.

> Nothing is gained by being "right" on a philosophical point if it is
> certain to cause failure in the market.

Maybe but if we get enough people on the philosophical point of view do
we need to be a major player in the market we will have our own
developer base and our own software. I personally would still like *nix
to be more main stream but still think people should at least attempt to
learn the philosophy behind it as that is where a lot of the value comes
from.

If you go to mac you learn the mac way you don't try to turn mac into
windows. I don't understand why everyone is trying to make *nix more
like windows.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin