[H-GEN] Connecting to 2 ISPs one entirely just for the FreeZone, How?

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 04:01:06 EDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:55:23 +1000 "De Crow" <crowaust at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok Basically I want people on the LAN to have to do nothing
> tricking/change any settings, I want all the intelligence for this in
> the router.
> If a PC on the LAN requests a page that is in ISP1's Free Zone I want
> the router to use that Link, for everything else use the link on ISP2.
>
> What is the best distribution to use for this? Anyone with past
> experience doing something like this?

This is very similar to what I do at HUMBUG meetings.  I bring along my
wireless broadband modem, which is the equivalent of IF2 in your
setup.  IF1 connects to the UQ network, which contains many servers,
then a firewall to the rest of the internet.  Those servers in the UQ
network that we con get to without going through the firewall are the
equivalent of the ISP1 Free Zone.  I have setup a routing table that
routes everything that can go to the UQ internal servers through IF1,
everything else goes through IF2.

So, if the Free Zone is defined as a bunch of IP addresses, then use
the route command (or your routers equivalent config file) to add a
bunch of routes for those IPs, sending them through IF1, and the
routers default gateway to IF2.

I have another NIC that is the equivalent of IF0 that is NAT'ed and
anything that connects through that just uses me as a gateway.  Your
LAN is likely already setup that way.

(To answer the burning, but irrelevant to this discussion, question on
everybodies minds, I run a local web cache that forwards all web
traffic to hydra.)  If there is a web cache/proxy running on Crowy's
router, and it has peering/parent arrangements, then he needs to
configure that to route stuff depending on destination, and for that he
will need the manual for whatever web cache/proxy is in use.