[H-GEN] Email Ettiquite; a Sardonic Reminder.

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Mon Sep 11 20:13:42 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-12, De Crow wrote:

> To top post or not to top post this is the question at hand :)

No, the question is etiquette.  When we post messages to the
Humbug lists, we do so as members of a community and so we are
bound by the accepted rules of behaviour of the community.

Clearly, some of the contributors to this thread have either
forgotten or, worse, failed to read the relevant rules which are
provided on our website.

stated:

    Before posting to the lists, make sure you've read AJ's
    Netiquette Guide to avoid being flamed.

That's not a vague suggestion for people who have nothing better
to do, it's a clear direction.  So, if you haven't read that
guide, or if you've forgotten it, read it now:

    http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.php

When you've read it (and the other information it references)
enough times to be clear about the content, then you[1] need to
start following the rules.  Whether you agree with those rules
or not, you don't just get to do whatever you like.  If you
really think the rules are wrong and you care enough to want to
change them, read the constitution and find out how to go about
getting them changed.

> Quite frankly I find people that don't top post annoying, as it is a pain in
> the arse to try and find the responses in amongst the original post.

People who criticise top-posters tend to know how to set out
their messages so that they are quite readable, so I'm afraid
that this complaint just doesn't merit any consideration.

And, as a final note, this is not a topic for this list, so
people should stop making silly suggestions about it.  We have
a clear policy, and it's up to members to follow it.

Cheers, Greg