[H-GEN] Thunderbird and ISO8859-1 encoding

David de Groot david-humbug at viking.org.au
Sun May 28 22:28:18 EDT 2006

David Duffy wrote:
> Thunderbird seems to use ISO8859-1 encoding by default which has been
> seen as undesirable (spam) to a few government departments that we deal
> with.
>
> The IT department of one of them has told us that it was the encoding
> that was triggering their spam filters. They have since added us to
> their white list but I can't possibly get them all to do that.
>
> Is it worth changing to something else (Unicode UTF-8) to make our
> outgoing email any more friendlier?

Isn't 8859-1 the standard "Western" character encoding ?  as in the
default ISO encoding for most English speaking Western nations ?

I actually get more spam using UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding (mostly from
non-English speaking countries).  It just seems odd that one would pick
8859-1 as a spam trigger.

Dave