[H-GEN] A new IRC channel for Humbug

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sat Mar 25 23:03:54 EST 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:53:35PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> James,
>
> Please don't write privately to me about stuff I post on the
> mailing lists.  The whole idea is open discussion.

Sorry :) I hit the 'r' key in mutt. I forgot this list has a "Reply to
Author" policy!

> > Anyone thought of the possibility of hosting our own server ?
>
> I imagine that people would have considered it.  I'd be very
> surprised if they went ahead and did it for the following
> reasons:
>
>  * Some sucker would have to volunteer to look after it.
>
>  * There would issues with bandwidth costs (which are already an
>    issue for us); lots of nasty people like to flood IRC servers.
>
>  * It's hard to see how we could protect ourselves from DDoS
>    attacks (which have the source of problems for oz.org in
>    their recent outages -- although I don't yet have any
>    confirmation that this is the problem this time).

In my experience with IRC, it seems larger networks are the
target of DDoS attacks.

I know I don't see you guys on the #humbug channel, but it I'm sure
it'll be quite annoying to have to hop to other servers/networks
every time there are persistent problems with the host server/network.

cheers
James

-"Problems are Solved by Method"
-