[H-GEN] Appointment Scheduler

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Mar 23 03:15:33 EST 2006

[Warning:  this is not an answer to the question, but some
musing on the topic.]

On 2006-03-23, Rick Phillips wrote:

> Does anyone know of an open source appointment scheduler which would
> drive off a Linux box, perhaps php/mysql based which can be
> simultaneously accessed by staff in a Windows Domain environment?
>
> I have done google searches and have been largely unsuccessful in my
> quest.  The MS MyOffice would be perfect but I don't want to go there.
>
> We have about 80 staff and the office personnel would make the
> appointments for staff members concurrently.  Web interface would be
> perfect.

I have tried several times to get a reasonably diverse group of
people to specify what they'd want in such a utility, completely
without success.  I had concluded a few years ago that it was an
empty niche and thought it might be fun to fill it -- but, since
my own needs are perfectly met by the tools I use now[1], I felt
it would be smart to find out what people wanted.

I still have no idea of the answer to that question and perhaps
since then the right tools have been built when I wasn't paying
attention.  At any rate, I'll be interested to see what people
have to say about this.  (If the perfect tool has not yet been
built, maybe I'll learn what it should be able to do ...)

Cheers, Greg

[1] The tools I use now specifically do not address the multiple
    user scenario which is needed here, so knowing what they are
    won't help anybody with this issue.