[H-GEN] Keysigning

Christian Bullow cbullow at tehbomb.com
Wed Mar 22 06:07:04 EST 2006

> Looks like the format will be Ad-Hoc once again. This means you should
> bring along:
> 1. Many print-outs of your key fingerprint, a generous figure of 20
> prints should be ample without causing significant harm to the world's
> forests. You can get your key fingerprint by running:
> gpg --fingerprint <keyid>
> 2. Photo ID. The more the better, a Passport and Driver's Licence are
> suggested.
> 3. A pen!
>
> For those who want a good reason why they should care: OpenPGP-signed
> data is great for integrity checking (eg. downloaded files), and for
> making sure that only the intended recipient(s) read your email
> messages. HUMBUG members have a history of attending linux.conf.au
> keysignings and tend to be well connected. That's good for your web of
> trust!
- --

Greetings Humbug'ers,

I will once again attend this weekends meeting from around 1630 to
around 1730. I am unfortunately unable to attend longer as I have other
events I need to appear at that evening, my final Saturday night in
Australia.

I will be seeking to bring with me a few CA-Cert assurance forms, for
those wishing to have their identity assured by a CA-Cert assurer, then
come with sufficient identification of sufficient quality.

What does this mean? At least one, preferably two or more government
issued photo id's. I will accept one government id, i.e.
learners/licence/passport (recent photo), and one non government photo
id (university student card etc). The better the ID the more points I
might give you.

Points may be accumulated up to the maximum allowed by the type of
program a person is enrolled in. For a person assured via the WOT
program, the maximum value allowed is 100 points. Subsequent assurances
will be rounded-down to not exceed 100 points.

For a person assured via the TTP program, the maximum value allowed is
150 points. Usually when you are assured via the TTP program you are
awarded all 150 points. Subsequent assurances will be rounded-down to
not exceed 150 points.

My assured points have been recently raised to 200, I can give a maximum
of 35 points out.

To do this I was my identity was assured under the TTP (Trusted third
party) system. A JP, and Solicitor, and Chemist assured my identity if I
remember right. I physically handed these documents to Duane (head
cacert poobar) who assured me again on the spot. The more points you
receive the more 'assured' of your identity is the assurer. I will also
sign keys of those people I am assured of their identity.

As yet my current key is not signed by Cacert as there is an issue with
the php governing the signing of keys with a) multiple identities, b)
images embedded, but I will be working on this, possibly while bored on
my flight to HK. I'm too busy at the moment.

This e-mail should be signed with a S/MIME cert, which is issued by
CA-Cert.

In order to be assured and have the option of having your GPG key signed
by CACert, you need to create an account on http://www.cacert.org
Information about CACert's aims and objectives, and who we are can be
found here;

http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/

as well as information on how to join the mailing lists.

For those wishing to become 'assurers'. I suggest once I hand points out
to everyone, depending on their id etc. You each assure each other. Much
like you would sign keys. Thus, by assuring each other, you each build
your points up, and are able to become assurers yourself.

Feel free to assure me, not that it will increase my points but it will
look good on my assurance history.

I highly suggest you join CACert with the e-mail address which is listed
as your primary under your GPG key.

Other then that, I think thats about everything. If you can't make it
when I'm there on saturday, don't despair, I'll make sure to hand out as
many points as possible before I leave, atleast enough to create a few
other assurers.

- --

Regards,

Christian R J Bullow