[H-GEN] Keysigning

Ted Percival ted at midg3t.net
Wed Mar 22 05:10:40 EST 2006

Hi all. It's time for an update on the keysigning.

Unfortunately Jon Oxer, hero of http://www.keysigning.org/, has been
busy writing a book and hasn't been able to furnish his website with an
automated keyring for us.

Fear not, for we are warriors! Yes, I hope you will all join me this
weekend for more key signing. Grow your web of trust and take pride in it.

Looks like the format will be Ad-Hoc once again. This means you should
bring along:
1. Many print-outs of your key fingerprint, a generous figure of 20
prints should be ample without causing significant harm to the world's
forests. You can get your key fingerprint by running:
gpg --fingerprint <keyid>
2. Photo ID. The more the better, a Passport and Driver's Licence are
suggested.
3. A pen!

More thorough instructions are available from
<http://www.keysigning.org/methods/adhoc>

For those who want a good reason why they should care: OpenPGP-signed
data is great for integrity checking (eg. downloaded files), and for
making sure that only the intended recipient(s) read your email
messages. HUMBUG members have a history of attending linux.conf.au
keysignings and tend to be well connected. That's good for your web of
trust!

I'll aim to get it started at about 8:30 PM.

See you there!

-Ted