[H-GEN] Limit adsl bandwidth

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Tue Jun 27 00:40:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 05:22:37PM -0700, Anthony Irwin wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi Anthiny,

> I have a problem with a user using up all the adsl
> bandwidth and using the monthly quota and essentially
> bringing the connection to a slow crawl.
>
> I have been looking into bandwidth limiting and
> everyone seems to talk about using squid and using
> delay pools. I believe that this method would not stop
> peer 2 peer programs and I don't really want to use a
> proxy if I can get away with it.
>
> Is it possible to use iptables or some other solution
> to limit bandwidth to a particular ip or mac address
> and only to ports above 1024?
>
> If so can you point me to any relevant docs.

The following might help too:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO.html
http://lartc.org/lartc.html

Another solution may be to force your users to use
a PPP client to get a connection to the internet :) The only
problem with afaik is the pppoe-server is a user-space daemon
and isn't very effecient.

Have a look at MikroTik http://www.mikrotik.com/ not very
expensive, but does the job very well.

cheers