[H-GEN] UTF-8 vs ISO-8859-1

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 21:07:09 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:
> Do you know how I can repair what I have?  slrn, mutt, and vim are
> the main ones.

Vim will automatically detect your encoding. If it doesn't (rare) then
you can just
:set encoding=utf-8
for more information see
:help unicode

According to the slrn FAQ[1], it depends on libslang2 for unicode
support, and slrn depends on libspang2 [2] so I can only assume that
utf-8 is supported.

Mutt supports utf-8 according the ubuntu dapper package description[3].

Maybe you have mistaken a malfunctioning terminal for malfunctioning
applications.

Perhaps try a terminal like 'gnome-terminal' or 'urxvt' and attempt to
render unicode characters. If you can't represent them in the
terminal, then you need to upgrade or change your terminal
application.

Here is a trivial test. This should render a white smiling face[4]
python -c 'print "\xe2\x98\xba"'

[1] http://slrn.sourceforge.net/manual/slrn-FAQ-6.html
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/news/slrn
[3] http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/mail/mutt
[4] http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/263a/index.htm
--
Stephen Thorne

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to sit and I will move the world."
  --Jonathan Lange