[H-GEN] CDROM mount problem on Open SUSE.

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Mon Jul 17 00:46:33 EDT 2006

> The old machine had several partitions and it seems that at least some of
> that multi-disc structure was included in the yast repartitioning, although
> I selected the basic wipe windows options.  I'm also concerned that the
> partitioning stage of the installation process, which was over very quickly,
> can't have done much low level checking of the disk.  I'd been hoping for
> that because windows had been reporting that the Hard Disk had issues (but I
> don't really believe it).

Partitioning in linux installs generally does no checking at all and is very
fast (as all it's doing is writing to the partition table).  File system
creation is likewise a lot faster than people coming from DOS/Windows are
used to I think

And finally, what's the best, most complete, way to test and prepare a
> flattened  hard disk to (re)build a system on?

Seeing that you already have a complete system installed it might be worth
having a play with smartmon (package name is smartmontools) to inspect the
SMART records on the disk.  Assuming the disk is SMART capable this may give
you confirmation that it is sick.

The other option that you could try here is a program call badblocks (part
of the e2fsprogs package).  I've used this only once or twice and that was
quite some time ago but it's supposed to scan for and report bad blocks in a
partition.

Cheers,
Michael