[H-GEN] CDROM mount problem on Open SUSE.

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Sun Jul 16 22:37:14 EDT 2006

andrew laidlaw wrote:

>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]

> Dear All,
>
> Having recently used the CD/CDRW in my AMD XP2000/256MB to install
> open suse 10.1 (using internet download copied to 5 x CDs), I'm now
> getting an error upon clicking the (Gnome) desktop CD icon:
>
> mount error
> operation failed
> /dev/hdc found in /etc/fstab

Do you have multiple hard drives in the machine?

Here is what the hd? stuff means:

hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave
hdc = secondary master
hdd = secondary slave

The above won't mean much to you unless you understand about the ide
cables in you pc do. Normally the cdrom is hdc.

> So, what is this /etc/fstab?  I found it and viewed the text file,
> which looks like a variation of (some of) the disk partitioning
> information?

It stands for file system table and basicly will basiclly auto mount so
partitions  for you and also tell  the mount command how to handle
things like the mounting of cdroms, usb drives etc.

> So, I'm inclined to go back and reinstall anyway, but I wonder if that
> might also fix this mount problem, or if there is a (simple) setting
> change required?

You should not have to reinstall and if you did it would more then
likely end up the same. In your /etc/fstab file you should have
something similar to the following.

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

Obviously hdc is the cdrom device and /media/cdrom0 is the mount point
where the cdrom will be mounted to  and the rest is parameters that you
probably won't need to change.

> And finally, what's the best, most complete, way to test and prepare a
> flattened  hard disk to (re)build a system on?

I have no idea what you mean by prepare a flatened hard disk.

Anyway I hope this helps you in some way.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin