[H-GEN] Activitives at Humbug

Adrian Sutton adrian at symphonious.net
Tue Feb 28 07:30:57 EST 2006

> I'd really like to see a talk on how to easily create interactive
> websites
> <snip>
> Ideally: free software, minimal dependencies on other software (no
> need
> for mysql or postgresql unless I have a database of my own already,
> eg),
> standards compliant, and a pretty default look.

The software I tend to be familiar with are large, expensive and have
a huge swag of dependencies, however I do spend a huge amount of my
time working with, selling, setting up, playing with, evaluating and
particularly criticizing CMSs, Document Management Systems, Web
Content Management Systems, wikis, blogs, editors and pretty much
anything else that involves editing content. I'd be happy to do a
talk on some of the important things to look for from a user point of
view (I make a lousy sys-admin) when selecting these types of
systems, particularly in choosing between CMS, DMS, wikis, blogs etc.

I'd tend to think that if we had a few lightning talks on specific
systems (advantages/disadvantages, setting up, usage and tips etc) I
could provide an overview of the types of products that are out there
and what they're good for (ie: what's the difference between a CMS,
DMS, WCMS, wiki and blog?). I could also give some technology demos
from a few prototype ideas of cool things that can be done with
various systems.

If people were interested in such a package I'd even be happy to take
the lead in organizing people to give different lightning talks and
bring it all together. I've already got Greg down. :)

> aj

Cheers,

Adrian Sutton.