[H-GEN] Activitives at Humbug

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Tue Feb 28 03:53:08 EST 2006

On 2006-02-28, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:58:47PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> > What's missing at present is some indicator from the eager
> > crowds about topics that people would like to hear about.
>
> I'd really like to see a talk on how to easily create interactive websites
> -- I can do PHP, and CGI and HTML and so on if I have to, but I keep
> thinking that with all these CMSes and Wikis and Ruby on Rails and so
> on, there ought to be an easy way of putting together a website that
> looks okay and is secure, but not have to spend heaps of time on that,
> instead of working on the interesting code that the website's meant to
> provide access to.
>
> Ideally: free software, minimal dependencies on other software (no need
> for mysql or postgresql unless I have a database of my own already, eg),
> standards compliant, and a pretty default look.
>
> Anyone able to hook me up? :)

Well I use trac[1] for that stuff: it's a snap to install and
setup; it has a wiki, bug tracker, nice source and diff browser
that is integrated with subversion (my VCS of choice); will run
under apache, lighttpd or standalone; written in Python and
actively developed.  It can use SQLite happily, or PostgreSQL if
you prefer (I can't recall if it does MySQL, because I don't).
It has a few dependencies, but they're easy to meet.  You can
use whatever components you want.  It has easy to manage access
controls that allow flexible management of users.  And the URL
below is an example of its look and feel.

I think it's too simple to need a talk at Humbug, but I could be
persuaded differently.

Cheers, Greg

[1] http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/