[H-GEN] Talks and stuff

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:59:27 EST 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 23:16:35 +1000 Anthony Towns
<aj at azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> What do people think about having some more regular talks at HUMBUG,
> or other sorts of things other than just turning up for net access,
> informal chatting, and dinner every other week?

There have been no talks due to a lack of someone to organise them.
Talks would be good.

> What sort of talks would people be interested in turning up to see?
>
> There's a few I could give, but I'm not really sure how in depth
> people like it. Do people want to hear talks about how debbugs
> (bugs.debian.org) is implemented, or clever tricks you can do with
> ifupdown (Debian's ifup/ifdown tools), or a basic introduction to
> using Debian? Or is Debian boring and would people be more interested
> in things like how bittorrent works (or does everyone who cares just
> read the protocol anyway?) or what? How about setting up a blog with
> blosxom -- you could repeat the talk five times to fill up an
> hour... :)

Lot's of Debian talks would kinda be boring to those of us that don't
use or aren't interested in Debian.  We are a unix users group, not
just Debian.  B-)

> Would it make sense to try having a talk every meeting, at, say, 5pm?
> With chatting and dinner afterwards at 6:30 or something?

See my email in the talks list concerning recent experience with
meeting activity at certain times, and the scheduling of talks.

> Are there any newbies lurking on the list who'd like to know more
> about something? Maybe a talk on the gimp or something?

Are you volunteering to be the new talks organiser?  Since the exec
meeting is just before the main meeting this saturday, there should be
a sufficiency of exec to make it official for you.  B-)

> The LCA wrapup talk is this weekend aiui, starting at 4:30; and Pia
> Waugh, the Linux Australia vice-president and one of the organisers
> of linux.conf.au 2007 in Sydney will probably be around to talk to
> also. Maybe we could have an informal little BOF about what sort of
> talks people would like to see / do at HUMBUGs then?

Looking forward to it.