[H-GEN] Determing Processes With Large Numbers Of Open Files

Matthew Brecknell humbug at brecknell.org
Mon Dec 11 22:43:28 EST 2006

> > lsof(8), if you're system has it.
                ^^^^^^

That's mildly embarrassing. :-)

> Well that generated a lot of data, but the VPS ran out of file
> handles again before I got it off the system. Rebooting now and then
> I'll see if I can decipher all that data. At first glance, it doesn't
> look like the wiki we use has scaled up to this many pages well.

Indeed, it can be difficult to do anything on a system which is running
out of file handles.

Note that lsof has various options for limiting output. For example, if
your (got it right this time) wiki runs as a separate user, you could
use something like "lsof -u wikiuser" and "lsof -u ^wikiuser" to compare
the number of files the wiki has open with the number of files owned by
the rest of the system.