[H-GEN] agm agenda

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed Aug 30 21:59:00 EDT 2006

On 31/08/2006 11:17 AM, Clinton Roy wrote:
>> While it is a requirement for there to always be an exec member
>> present at
>> a meeting, perhaps only those members willing to stay and pack up
>> occasionally should consider nominating.
>
> This is my main beef. It should not be a requirement to be a insomniac
> to be an exec member. Packing up the meetings should not be the main
> task that an exec agrees to, it should be a minor inconvenience, a
> side show. The fact that the current, highly competent, executive
> finds this task difficult to share around, means that the bar is set
> too high.

Insisting that each member has to stay back past midnight
even once a year will limit the people who will be
willing to nominate.  For example, it virtually
eliminates women with young children.

Is there some room for flexibility here.  Rather than
insisting a member of the exec locks up, establish a
schedule of people who are allowed to lock up.  Who
gets onto the schedule would be up to the committee,
but I would expecting getting on the schedule would
require a person to read a set of procedures on how
to lock up, and sign off that they have read and
understood them, and undertake to follow them.  This
might include returning the equipment to its current
storage place.  The insomniacs can then apply to be
on the schedule.

When the last committee member leaves (which can't
be before 10 o'clock say), then they ask if there is
a person on the schedule willing to take responsibility
for locking up that night.  If not the meeting ends.
Otherwise the said person signs off on being the
responsible person, and the meeting can go on to
until late.

Its not a big change.  I am sure there are a number of
people who the committee are willing to trust with
locking up and returning the equipment.