[H-GEN] Yeah gods! How hard can it be?

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed Apr 26 05:02:03 EDT 2006

Some of you may remember me celebrating that a new version
of cpio had come out that fixed a long standing bug.  It
appears my celebrations were a little premature:

  rstuart at ras:/$> cd /; (echo .; echo etc; echo lost+found) | cpio -o -H ustar | cpio -itv
  drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root     2501907082 Mar  8  1913
  5 blocks
  cpio: invalid header: checksum error
  cpio: warning: skipped 138 bytes of junk
  drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root     4274001609 May  3  1969 lost+found/
  5 blocks

Giving it 3 consecutive directory names seems to trigger
the bug.  I know one should grumble at volunteers, but
geeez, boys, 10 years (and still counting) between
working versions of a program is a long time between
drinks.