[H-GEN] VPN Solutions

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at lusan.id.au
Sun Apr 2 21:32:54 EDT 2006

Greetings,

OK, so I have had it up to here with poorly documented VPN solutions and
I want to ask for some recomendations.

My situation:
Home server with static IP on ADSL.
Home network in the private range (using a 10.x.x.x/24)
Desktop computer at work
Laptop for luggable usage where ever I am.

Needs:
VPN that does host to network and network to network connections (I want
to be able add whole network segments from other places like my sisters
house).
Windows and Linux clients.
Ability for clients to be behind a NAT.

Basically I want to be able to make my work desktop, my laptop and a
couple of windows hosts (in relatives houses) nodes on my home network
via a VPN (so if my home network is 10.1.1.0/24 I want them to have
addresses on that network). The machine that will act as the server has
a static interface that is live to the net. The client machines are
invariably going to be coming through some kind of NAT. I know that the
NAT stuff can cause problems. I have setup my own internal CA for
generating x509 certificates for my own use, ultimatley I would like
these to be used to do authentication, but I am willing to put up with
something else.

I have looked around at tinc, Openswan/Strongswan and openVPN. I cannot
seem to find sufficient examples of this kind of solution (most of them
are for net-net tunnels which is a little bit of overkill for what I
actually need) and the documentation of all of these things is abismal.

If anyone has any recommendations, help, or pointers to examples I would
be very appreciative of the assistance.

--
Nikolai Lusan
# Webpage:  http://lusan.id.au/~nikolai