[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day (new thread)

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Sep 8 02:01:25 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 12:27:25PM +1000, Harry Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 11:29 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> > > So what do you use when you need to do the stuff IO Writer and Word
> > > provide? Please don't say some plain text editor like vim or emacs.
> > If you have a question, there's not much point prescribing the
> > nature of the answer in advance. So, if you do have a question,
> > go ahead and ask it; maybe I'll provide an answer.
> I did ask a question, "what do you use". The reason I said don't answer
> vim or emacs is because they are not a replacement for the functionality
> of what Word and IO provide.

Are you sure about that? Perhaps Greg knows how to use them in a way
that does allow him to create beautifully typeset documents, and you'd
be interested in knowing. If that's the case, but you're not interested
in knowing anyway -- well, he was pretty right that you aren't actually
interested in the answer to your question, no?

> > > You criticise both yet offer no replacement, maybe you are writing one?
> > Harry, you criticise me frequently,
> I just find you and your answers abrasive and unlike everyone else I am
> willing to tell you. Maybe you need to read "How to win friends and
> influence people".

It has two chapters that seem particular relevent. The second is "Nine
ways to change people without giving offence or arousing resentment",
summarised as:

  1. Begin with praise an honest admiration
  2. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
  3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticising the other person.
  4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
  5. Let the other man save his face.
  6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be
     "hearty in your approbation and lavvish in your praise."
  7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
  8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
  9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

The first is "Twelve ways of winning people to your way of thinking",
summarised as:

  1. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
  2. Show respect for the other man's opinions. Never tell a man he is
     wrong.
  3. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
  4. Begin in a friendly way.
  5. Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
  6. Let the other man do a great deal of the talking.
  7. Let the other man feel that the idea is his.
  8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
  9. Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
 10. Appeal to the nobler motives.
 11. Dramatize your ideas.
 12. Throw down a challenge.

Cheers,