[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day (new thread)

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Wed Sep 7 22:27:25 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 11:29 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> > So what do you use when you need to do the stuff IO Writer and Word
> > provide? Please don't say some plain text editor like vim or emacs.
>
> If you have a question, there's not much point prescribing the
> nature of the answer in advance. So, if you do have a question,
> go ahead and ask it; maybe I'll provide an answer.

I did ask a question, "what do you use". The reason I said don't answer
vim or emacs is because they are not a replacement for the functionality
of what Word and IO provide. It would be like recommending to a business
that they don't need to buy MS Office because Windows comes with
Notepad.

You probably don't like that fact that the world has moved past plain
ASCII text but it has.

> > You criticise both yet offer no replacement, maybe you are writing one?
>
> Harry, you criticise me frequently,

I just find you and your answers abrasive and unlike everyone else I am
willing to tell you. Maybe you need to read "How to win friends and
influence people". It's not so much the answers, because I find you very
knowledgeable, it's the way you word them.

<quote> Because the person who setup the DANS for the address was
ignorant. </quote>

Was that REALLY needed? Without that at the top of the email I would
have thought "Wow Greg is learning some people skills, he answered
without belittling the person".

Maybe get a female companion or workmate to review your messages to
soften them a bit first? Yes the person maybe ignorant/moron/retarded
but calling them so isn't going to help anyone.

> but I don't see you offering
> a replacement for me; maybe you're working on that?

A replacement for what? You never told us what you use. No I am not
working on a replacement I find OO suitable for my needs, if you know of
something better then lets hear it.

OO isn't perfect and I don't like the reliance on Java either but it is
improving and for me it is better than Word.

> Just to forestall some possibilities here, I will add that this
> topic is now over, as far as I'm concerned -- unless somebody
> has some real question that seems to merit an answer.

I see that often, "I have no answer so this is over"

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips