[H-GEN] Keeping a civil tone

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Wed Oct 12 08:46:04 EDT 2005

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 06:02:39AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, James Mills wrote:
> > Spot on. I _actually_ don't even bother replying or emailing this list
> > much since the attitudes and flaming that goes on is beyond belief at
> > times...
>
> Wow.  The HUMBUG lists used to have a reputation for being a place where
> flaming was very rare.  It was so unusual people would explicitely mention
> the lack of flaming.
>
> I still think these lists have less problems than many of the LUG lists
> I'm on (which is quite a few[1]).

I agree with all this. I find it really disappointing
that the mailing list seems so much less friendly than
it used to. A certain bombastic style has crept in that
is really out of place in a hobbyist environment.

> [1] I recently joined a Cuban LUG list.  My wife and I plan to visit
> Jamaica and Cuba over Christmas and I'm taking some OSS resources down
> with me.  The Cubans tell me that Linux and *BSD are very popular there.
> Most of the discussions are in Spanish but it looks like little flaming is
> going on :)

We'll have to get you to give a talk next time you
are in Brisvegas.  Incidentally, the sleep patterns
of certain of my co-workers are only now returning
to normal ;-)

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au