[H-GEN] DVD Legal Issues

Willie Yeo Willie.Yeow at aapt.com.au
Sun May 29 21:13:10 EDT 2005

I recall reading somewhere that it is illegal to backup DVD of a movie that you buy. The rules are different to that of computer software, where you are entitled to make a copy of a software for backup by law.

So is backing up Music CDs into MP3s for your iPod or backing it up.

It is also discussed that it is technically illegal for DVDs to be region coded in Australia (but hell, I think it cannot be enforced).

As for whether "dvd decryption librarys used to play dvd movies", it am not certain.