[H-GEN] Email migration

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Mar 29 07:26:32 EST 2005

Nikolai Lusan wrote:

> evolution. I want to merge these two mail collections and move them onto
> an imap server.
>

> Firstly I thought I would ask for opinions on which imap server I
> should use (I am thinking courier ATM for the possibility to extend
> into evolution calendar sharing etc.).

I use courier here, don't have any major complaints with it.  No opinion
on calendar sharing since I don't do it.

> Secondly I thought I would ask what peoples thoughts are on the
> migration proccess (ATM I have no idea as to
> how I am going to go about getting the mail into the right format for
> the server without running it through procmail again).

As someone else suggested, set up the imap system and then drag and drop
via a client, might be a tad slow over a network but it's dead simple

> I would garner opinions on using fetchmail/procmail to deliver mail onto
> the imap server.

This depends a little on the setup.  I use real accounts on the system
and use maildir folders for each user (the IMAP server simply gives
access to ~/Maildir for each user).  Delivery via procmail is a snap
with this setup and works very well.  The extra benefit here is that you
can also access the maildir folders using mutt.  Not quite sure how that
would work with virtual user accounts though as I've never investigated
that.

Cheers,
Michael